The Leonid Brezhnev Era
- Led Soviet Union from 1964-1982
- Many think this is a period of deterioration for USSR due to party “apparatchiks” left over from the Stalin regime wanted to return to the old status quo
- Fear that they are losing their "luster"
- Socialists, Satellite States, Warsaw pact countries (other communist countries)
- Made famous the Brezhnev doctrine:
- “It was the right and duty of fraternal socialist countries to intervene in each others affairs when socialism was threatened”
- He makes this while intervening in Czechoslovakia in 1968
Brezhnev led Soviet Russia from 1964 to 1982, and this was a period by which many thought the USSR had noticeably deteriorated. He drafted the world famous Brezhnev Doctrine, which was created during his intervention in Czechoslovakia in 1968.
God will not forgive us if we fail.
Leonid I. Brezhnev