Invasion of Denmark and Norway
- the Nazis wanted this territory because:
2)Sweden stays neutral throughout the world war but are friendly to the Germans and gives them steel. Germans were worried because they thought they wouldn't get their steel anymore.
- Provides the word Quisling to english dictionary, which means collaborator, ( negative connotation). The president of norway did this= invited Hitler to come.
- All norwegian shipping goes to the British.
Invasion of low countries
- Hitler begins his attack on the west in the neutral "low countries" May 10 1940.
Luxembourg= 2 days
- The british expeditionary force (BEF) and french try to defend belgium but arrive too late.
The Nazis invaded Denmark and Norway for two reasons. The first being that they wanted the water, because it gave Norway a place for their U-boats to go right into the Atlantic. The second reason was that they were worried that they wouldn't get their steel anymore, because Sweden stayed neutral throughout the world war but were friendly to the Germans and gave them steel. Hitler began invading the low countries on May 10 1940, and quickly took over the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg, The BEF tried to defend Belgium, however they were too late to arrive.